wagner96

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Ride:Sonic LT

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

Is the factory oil in my Sonic truly intended to go the 10,000 miles, which is what the ON STAR (emailed) maintenance report is telling me? Is this orginial oil a synthetic oil? I plan to use Mobil 1, when it is time to change and doing that seems to be OK, but that first change is my concern.

#2 Papasonic

Papasonic

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCambridge IL
  • Current Ride:2012 Inferno Sonic LTZ Sedan and 2012 Inferno Sonic LTZ 1.4 turbo hatchback

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Is the factory oil in my Sonic truly intended to go the 10,000 miles, which is what the ON STAR (emailed) maintenance report is telling me? Is this orginial oil a synthetic oil? I plan to use Mobil 1, when it is time to change and doing that seems to be OK, but that first change is my concern.

You are right to be concerned about the first oil change. Yes, the oil life monitoring system may suggest that interval, but common sense suggests otherwise.

I would suggest changing oil & filter initially at no more than 3,000 miles; possibly earlier if a lot of cold starts, and short trips have occured.

The oil requirement for the Sonic is Dexos1. Factory fill is an unknown, but Dexos 1 sold / marketed by GM is a semi- synthetic. You would be safe to use Mobil 1, as it is also a Dexos certified oil. Remember to keep receipts and a log of service records if not performed at a GM dealer.

#3 mightydog

mightydog

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

You are right to be concerned about the first oil change. Yes, the oil life monitoring system may suggest that interval, but common sense suggests otherwise.

I would suggest changing oil & filter initially at no more than 3,000 miles; possibly earlier if a lot of cold starts, and short trips have occured.

The oil requirement for the Sonic is Dexos1. Factory fill is an unknown, but Dexos 1 sold / marketed by GM is a semi- synthetic. You would be safe to use Mobil 1, as it is also a Dexos certified oil. Remember to keep receipts and a log of service records if not performed at a GM dealer.

Do they recommend 3,000 miles or 5,000 miles oil change? I have always done 5,000 miles

#4 Papasonic

Papasonic

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCambridge IL
  • Current Ride:2012 Inferno Sonic LTZ Sedan and 2012 Inferno Sonic LTZ 1.4 turbo hatchback

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Do they recommend 3,000 miles or 5,000 miles oil change? I have always done 5,000 miles

The manufacturer says to use the vehicles oil life monitoring system to determine the oil change intervals; not a specific mileage. It is expressed as a percentage of remaining oil life. At a certain percentage a warning is displayed, notifying the operator that service is required. In my opinion, that is well beyond when it should have been changed. The manufacturer is in the business of producing & selling new vehicles; and not necessarily interested in their longevity.

#5 Janice

Janice

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Ride:GM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

The Chevrolet Sonic oil change intervals are higher due to advancements in metal technologies and oil. Here's a nice story about the increased oil change internals:

http://www.latimes.c...0,4554184.story

#6 Kam

Kam

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

New synthetic oil will last that long but it's the filter I don't trust lasting that long.

#7 Green Day

Green Day

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Current Ride:Civic

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

New synthetic oil will last that long but it's the filter I don't trust lasting that long.

Oils are lasting a lot longer due to tech advances, but I also don't like the idea of an overworked oil filter.

#8 Barrie

Barrie

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

If i have any concerns I always take mine into the dealership to make sure!!

#9 scotiez

scotiez

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND
  • Current Ride:2012 Sonic

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

Bought my sonic almost 3 weeks ago now. Sales man told me there is no need to change my oil early for break in. He said factory fill is dexos 1 5w30 and to just use the oil life monitor, but i probably won't listen. I will probably change it around 3000 miles then use the oil life monitor for the rest of the cars life.

#10 mightydog

mightydog

New Sonic Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

3000 miles is usaually the normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users